Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing
IuriiVozniak; Fahmi Zaïri; Ramin Hosseinnezhad; Jerzy Morawiec; Andrzej Galeski
– Nanocomposites with new hybrid interpenetrating nanofiber networks were formed.
– Tough, in situ-made PBS and rigid, ready-made POM nanofibers were combined in PLA.
– POM nanofibers promoted formation of longer PBS nanofibers at higher temperature.
– A positive hybrid effect on toughness of hybrid composites was achieved.
– Reasons for the change from PLA crazing to homogeneous deformation were elucidated.
Hybrid polymer–polymer nanocomposite of polylactide/poly(1,4-butylene succinate)/ polyoxymethylene (PLA/PBS/POM) system with interpenetrating fiber network was manufactured. Hybridization was by combining tough, in situ generated PBS nanofibers with rigid, ready-made electrospun POM nanofibers. The concentration of PBS and POM components was 10 wt% to establish continuous fiber network. Nanoporous surface of POM nanofibers with high specific surface area enabled strong interfacial interaction with PLA matrix. A positive effect of hybridization on mechanical properties was achieved for composite with interpenetrating network of POM and PBS fibers. Compared to PLA/PBS/POM blend, the PLA/PBS/POM composite was characterized by increase in: elastic modulus, yield stress, tensile impact strength and strain at break. Presence of POM fibers caused increase: in crystallinity and in crystallization temperature of PBS due to shear-induced crystallization. Presence of PBS and POM nanofibers caused a change of plastic deformation of PLA matrix from heterogeneous intensive crazing to homogeneous.
2.2. Sample Praparation:
… The preparation of electrospun POM nanofibers was carried out according to the procedure described in using Nadetech ND-ES Lab electrospinner. POM solution was prepared by dissolving 7 wt% in 1,1,1,3,3,3-hexafluoro-2-propanol (HFIP, Bp∼ 58 °C, Vp at 20 °C ∼120 mmHg).